Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Twitter for Twitter's Sake?

I know I've complained about Twitter before, but if you'll indulge me once more, uh... WHAT??? (emphasis is so very much mine):
TweepMe is the easiest way to get new followers on Twitter. When a new member joins, every other member automatically follows the new member, and the new member follows them back. The process is gradual and happens over the course of weeks or months depending on the number of TweepMe members.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't the whole point of Twitter to follow friends or, in the very least, people with common interests? What possible appeal is there to just follow random people who, not only do you not know anything real about, you don't even know what they'll Tweet about?

And on the writing side, isn't the challenge and interesting part of Twitter to be concise/ interesting enough to earn followers? What possible appeal is there to sign up to Twitter and then automatically have strangers following you?

Whatever. I guess I shouldn't complain if someone wants to create a free sub-social network within a social network, right? No. So very wrong of me:
TweepMe membership costs $12.95 for a lifetime account.
If the lottery is a poor tax, TweepMe is a pathetic loner tax.

Thanks to Marginal Revolution for the link, and out of tradition:

Jon Stewart and I like to shake fists

No comments:

Post a Comment