Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quitters Never Prosper?

I have mostly stayed away from Sarah Palin's resignation (aside from comparing her to a horror movie villain, but what was I supposed to do? Not compare her to a horror movie villain? No. I didn't think so), but Andrew Sullivan links to a thought, that I must in full candor admit- I had not thought of on my own. In all honesty, I probably would not have:
In 1754, Lt. Col. George Washington quit the Virginia militia, an obscure fact that now seems a bit more interesting in the wake of Gov. Sarah Palin's resignation in Alaska.
That does seem more interesting.

This whole George Washington/ Sarah Palin thing is even more eerie when you consider all the similarities:
  • Neither were members of the liberal elite or mainstream media
  • They were both pretty mavericky (King George thought George Washington went rogue)
  • Both had Tea Parties go on under their watch
  • Both had nice hair
  • Both had children named Trig
  • Neither ever told a lie
In fact, the fact that both George Washington and Sarah Palin both quit has made me rethink a lot about quitting, too. I mean, isn't it good to quit smoking or drinking or drugs? Yes, it is. What if Michael Jordan had never quit baseball? That would have been bad. Jack Twist wishes he knew how to quit (you.) So, think about that.

Of course, it is slightly more complicated that that. Palin herself said:
"I am not a quitter. I am a fighter."
So if Washington was a quitter, how can we possibly compare non-quitter Sarah Palin to him?

Although when you think about it, General George Washington was also a fighter, so don't worry- George Washington and Sarah Palin are still pretty much the same person.

No comments:

Post a Comment